What Is It?
The General Conference Church of God (Seventh Day) Southwest District, GC COG7 SWD, ministry focus today is on SWD HOPE Ministry. The SWD HOPE Ministry Directors are David Burrell and Martin Ramirez. They have done much work through the Fort Smith, Arkansas COG7 and are working to expand this ministry throughout the SWD and perhaps someday the GC COG7. It is a fair question to ask the meaning of calling a ministry SWD HOPE Ministry. What does it mean? HOPE is an acronym for Homes, Opportunities, Projects, and Education.
SWD HOPE Ministry is a multi-faceted ministry that include “Homes For Life”, “Opportunities” of every sort, “Projects” primarily for Local Churches other than the Homes for Life chapter of HOPE Ministry, and Education. “Homes” has been the star of this ministry over the last few years since it was founded. It follows a similar plan as Habitat for Humanity only it is uniquely for GC COG7 qualifying member families. Its success has been phenomenal, so much so, Habitat for Humanity has, on occasion, contacted them to take over one of their projects that needed new owners. While “Homes” has been the star, it is not the backbone of SWD HOPE Ministry. The Backbone of SWD HOPE Ministry is education and a commitment to facilitate GC COG7 members and members’ families to access improved education from the cradle to the grave. The Directors hold the position that “Homes”, “Opportunities”, and “Projects” are more about education than anything else. In fact, through “Education” the Vision, Mission, and Goals are discovered, engaged, and accomplished for the rest of multi-faceted ministry they lead.
If you are experiencing God’s call on your life to do something out of the ordinary, something braver and bolder than you have ever done before, you might want to contact your SWD Area Director, GC COG7 Office, SWD Media Ministry or SWD Superintendent and inquire about getting in contact with these two SWD HOPE Ministry Directors. Together, they lead a bilingual ministry that elevates and does not bruise those being served. If you are into labor, finance, business, investments, or education and experiencing God’s call on your heart to do more than you are doing, this might be the Ministry for you. The success stories take too long to tell, and the failures are too few to mention.
Through SWD HOPE Ministry we see one of the clearest pictures of how faithfulness in Word and deed can be translated into the lives of people. SWD HOPE Ministry is one which relies on principles of business, conduct, personal character, and life choices more than on step by step formulas in accomplishing the goals of the mission to achieve the vision. To be sure, SWD HOPE Ministry has step by step processes for achieving the mission’s goals. But oftentimes they are not well known in religious organizations and must be discovered, adapted, implemented, and critically monitored for the sake of glorifying God, edifying the Church and promoting this gospel in this age and place.
There are a few Bible verses that come to mind when I think of SWD HOPE Ministry. I would like to share a few. While the context of some may not speak directly to this ministry, they demonstrate the functional design of workers who put things in order or supply specific needs to contribute to the cause of Jesus Christ in reconciling this world to God.
1 Chronicles 12:32, BBE
And of the children of Issachar, there were two hundred chiefs, men who had expert knowledge of the times and what it was best for Israel to do, and all their brothers were under their orders.
Bible Characters who would have made great SWD HOPE Ministry Directors are people like Ezra, Nehemiah, Noah, Joseph and the children of Issachar.
1 Corinthians 12:28, NKJV
And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.
2 Corinthians 9:12, NKJV
For the administration of this service not only supplies the needs of the saints, but also is abounding through many thanksgivings to God,
Titus 3:12-14, NKJV
- When I send Artemas to you, or Tychicus, be diligent to come to me at Nicopolis, for I have decided to spend the winter there.
- Send Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their journey with haste, that they may lack nothing.
- And let our people also learn to maintain good works, to meet urgent needs, that they may not be unfruitful.
Daniel 2:48, NKJV
Then the king promoted Daniel and gave him many great gifts, and he made him ruler over the whole province of Babylon and chief prefect over all the wise men of Babylon.
1 Corinthians 14:40, NKJV
But all things must be done properly and in an orderly manner.
Acts 6:1-7, NKJV
- Now in those days, when the number of the disciples was multiplying, there arose a complaint against the Hebrews by the Hellenists, because their widows were neglected in the daily distribution.
- Then the twelve summoned the multitude of the disciples and said, “It is not desirable that we should leave the word of God and serve tables.
- Therefore, brethren, seek out from among you seven men of good reputation, full of the Holy Spirit and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business;
- but we will give ourselves continually to prayer and to the ministry of the word.”
- And the saying pleased the whole multitude. And they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit, and Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolas, a proselyte from Antioch,
- whom they set before the apostles; and when they had prayed, they laid hands on them.
- Then the word of God spread, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests were obedient to the faith.
Ezra 6:14, NKJV
So the elders of the Jews built, and they prospered through the prophesying of Haggai the prophet and Zechariah the son of Iddo. And they built and finished it, according to the commandment of the God of Israel, and according to the command of Cyrus, Darius, and Artaxerxes king of Persia.
The SWD HOPE Ministry has developed significant structure around “Homes” and “Education”.
Seek God’s will for the area you are supposed to be working in the Kingdom of heaven on this earth in this age. If you cannot find where you fit into the structure of the GC COG7 SWD, then please contact a SWD Area or Ministry Director. Or, you may contact the GC COG7 Office, the SWD Media sites or the District Superintendent. It is my goal, desire, and ambition to facilitate your being fruitful in the Lord Jesus Christ. There is a work for you to do.
Blessings and peace in your walk with God.