Greetings and peace in the name of Jesus our Lord. With today being Father’s Day, it seemed appropriate to offer Bible verses that speak about fathers and fatherhood, whether of an earthly or heavenly father. Everyone of you have an earthly father and all of you who are born again also have a Divine Father.
The Apostle John wrote to those for whom he cared with a special message. In one part he repeats himself for emphasis. Let’s begin there and then make several other references available that say something about fathers.
1 John 2:12-14, NIV
- I am writing to you, dear children, because your sins have been forgiven on account of his name.
- I am writing to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I am writing to you, young men, because you have overcome the evil one.
- I write to you, dear children, because you know the Father. I write to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning. I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God lives in you, and you have overcome the evil one.
Deuteronomy 1:29-31, NIV
- Then I, Moses, said to you, “Do not be terrified; do not be afraid of them.
- The LORD your God, who is going before you, will fight for you, as he did for you in Egypt, before your very eyes,
- and in the wilderness. There you saw how the LORD your God carried you, as a father carries his son, all the way you went until you reached this place.”
2 Samuel 7:14-15, NIV
- I will be his father, and he will be my son. When he does wrong, I will punish him with a rod wielded by men, with floggings inflicted by human hands.
- But my love will never be taken away from him, as I took it away from Saul, whom I removed from before you.
Psalms 32:7-8, NIV
- You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.
- I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.
Psalms 103:13, NIV
As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him;
Proverbs 1:8, NIV
Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching.
Proverbs 4:11-12, NIV
- I instruct you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths.
- When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run, you will not stumble.
Proverbs 22:6, NIV
Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it.
Pro 23:22-24, NIV
- Listen to your father, who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old.
- Buy the truth and do not sell it– wisdom, instruction and insight as well.
- The father of a righteous child has great joy; a man who fathers a wise son rejoices in him.
Malachi 4:6, NIV
He will turn the hearts of the parents to their children, and the hearts of the children to their parents; or else I will come and strike the land with total destruction.”
Luke 15:20, NIV
So he got up and went to his father. “But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.
2 Corinthians 6:18, NIV
And, “I will be a Father to you, and you will be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty.”
Ephesians 4:6, NIV
One God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
Ephesians 6:4, NIV
Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.
Hebrews 12:7, NIV
Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father?